Personal Property includes motor vehicles, boats, industrial equipment, farming equipment, or aircraft. Before buying Personal Property in Alberta, or accepting Personal Property as collateral for a loan, protect yourself with a Personal Property search.
All personal property information stored is public and any interests in Personal Property, including liens, must be registered to avoid legal conflicts.
Registering an interest in the property doesn’t guarantee priority over other interests, but it is a necessary step that protects your interest.
Searches you can do:
- Individual Debtor Name Search. This looks for any registrations for a specific Individual Debtor name.
- Business Debtor Name Search. This looks for any registrations for a specific Business Debtor name.
- Serial Number Search. This looks for any registrations for a specific serial number of a good.
- Registration Number Search. This gives you the status of a specific Personal Property Registry Registration Number.
- Distribution Seizure Search. This looks for any registrations for individual and/or business names that may participate in distribution proceeds and will determine if enforcement proceedings are viable.
- Business Secured Party Search. This looks for all registrations for a specific organization.
- Certificate of Expired or Discharged Registration Number Search. This gives you when registration was expired or was discharged.